Remember when we mentioned we were expanding operations?
It’s been a long time coming, it’s not how we originally planned for it to be, it’s not where we originally planned for it to be happening, but it’s finally happening.
If there’s one thing we’ve learned, it’s that chaos and mayhem tend to follow us wherever we go, but we adapt, we shift, and we make things work…usually better than the original idea was in the first place, and that’s certainly the case here…
You read that right, Podcast Detroit is taking over its own building, complete with a private parking lot, 4 rooms perfectly sized for studios, a huge kitchen area, a nice outdoor space for some seating to take advantage of the nice Michigan days to come in the late Spring, Summer and Fall, and all sorts of other good stuff.
We have they keys in-hand, and so we’re getting ready to dive in full steam ahead. There really isn’t all that much work to be done – the rooms are the right sizes, so we’ll be doing a little painting, installing the soundproofing and equipment, and then we’ll be good to go.
In order to minimize impact on current shows and operations, we’ll be leaving the current studio for the last thing to be moved. We’ll setup the new gear in the space, and then pick a time to move the existing gear over…but since the new gear will be up and operational, there’s no need for any downtime whatsoever. We’ll just start transitioning shows to the new location so that, again, there’s no downtime, no impact to shows or operations.
As a reminder of what we’re doing…
- Today, we have a single studio capable of handling up to 8 people.
- Upon completion, we’ll have three studios. The plan is to have two studios with an 8 person capacity, and a third studio with a 4 person capacity to handle some of our single-host shows with an environment better suited to their needs. The additional capacity will also be used for recording commercials for our sponsors and clients.
- Each studio will have its own stream, and we’re already working on updating our app to support the new multiple channels.
Remote Gear and Appearances
- We started out with a four person remote setup, and that worked well for a while.
- It’s been upgraded to be just as fully equipped as our current studio.
- 8 mics, remote inputs, and a dedicated laptop and stream.
- We’ve already booked a number of sponsorships, engagements, and appearances for early 2016. Our shows are booking coverage at bars and events throughout the area, and we’re expecting a pretty full calendar of remote events this year. Looking forward to seeing you at them.
- Times are changing, and with it, so is the technology required in order to maximize the reach and earning potential of shows.
- So not only are we adding better audio capabilities to our studios, but we’re also putting the plans together for video in each studio.
- We’re figuring out the logistics currently, but the game plan is to have show archives, live streaming, highlights from each show used for show promotional purposes…we’re trying to make sure that our shows have no limits on their potential reach.
You might notice that our earlier note mentioned Activ8 as the projected new green room. Since we’re moving, that won’t be happening…just yet. There are even more plans in the works for 2016 and 2017 that are going to take things to an even higher level than we’re getting to with this move. But those stories aren’t ready to be told yet, so stay tuned!
We’re very excited about what 2016 has in store for Podcast Detroit as a network, as well as all of our shows.
Thanks for reading, and we hope you come along for the ride with us.